Home
Andy South
April Johnston
Gretchen Jones
Michael Costello
Mondo Guerra
Project Runway
Project Runway recap
Project Runway review
Project Runway Season 8 Episode 12
Reality TV
Project Runway Season 8 Episode 12

Project Runway season 8 episode 12 called “We’re in a New York State of Mind” aired on the Lifetime Network last night with a very special guest judge who goes by the name of Christian Siriano.

There have been two kinds of “Project Runway” fans this season. There have been the ones that hate Michael C. and there have been the ones that hate Gretchen.

So there should be a lot of angry people right now. Michael C. and Gretchen have made it to the two-part finale and one or both of them will be among the three to actually compete for the title of Season 8 winner. From almost everything I’ve read and everyone I’ve talked to, it’s been “I just don’t want Michael to win” or “I hate Gretchen.” It’s never been “I hope Mondo wins!” or “I love Andy’s designs!” It’s been a very odd and interesting season for those reasons.

I really didn’t care about the outcome from Thursday’s episode. As long as Mondo got his shot I would be happy. And he did.

The only thing that threw me off was how much the judges loved Michael’s plain, draped black dress that was too literally inspired by the Statue of Liberty. Usually if someone makes something that safe they’re slammed for it. I’m not saying it should have sent him home (even though I kind of thought it should have) but the fact that Michael Kors called it a showstopper is mind blowing … I just have not understood the judging this season when it comes to Michael C.

But once again they loved his look (even guest judge Christian Siriano) and he was the first one to make it to the finale.

Rewind to the beginning of the episode. The designers are met on a rooftop by Tim Gunn and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who tells them about their final challenge. They are to make a look inspired by New York City. So basically, they can do anything they want and they have $500 to do it with.

Michael, as I’ve already said, decides to be inspired by the Statue of Liberty. Which is funny because as soon as I heard about the challenge I made fun of the fact that someone would be lazy and go for the Statue of Liberty. And as I said, he basically won the challenge. He’s in.

Mondo was Mondo. He was inspired by the Brooklyn Bridge. At first Mondo was struggling. He slept a lot of the night away, putting him behind on the challenge. Then he failed to work in any of his Mondo-like colors into the look. It was actually looking a little grim for my favorite designer. But he came through and even ended up looking like a risk-taker by proving he doesn’t use color as a crutch. He’s in.

Andy continued his prostitute/dominatrix/warrior woman theme and bored me. And it was supposedly inspired by Central Park. He’s good with frabrics and clearly understands a woman’s body, but he’s so redundant. He’s in.

Gretchen is not Gretchen. And by that, I mean she didn’t put knee-high boots on her model for the first time all season. Actually, what she did do was pretty terrible and the judges knew. She knew too. She’s just really warn down and ready for it all to be over. And it looked nothing like her Lower East Side inspiration. She’s in.

Speaking of Gretchen, did you notice what she said to the other contestants after she made it through? “I’m just really relieved that they gave me the second chances that each of you got.” That translates into “you all sucked long before I did and you’re all still here, so it’s a damn good thing that they let me mess up once too.” I sometimes think she seriously doesn’t even know she’s a bitch.

April stays true to herself by making a black nightgown inspired by Brooklyn Bridge. Everything she’s made this season has resembled something a goth Dorothy Zbornak would sleep in. Heidi makes her cry and she’s out.

So next week is part one of the finale. The four designers will return with their collections and they’ll have to compete for the three spots. They’ll probably have to show a couple pieces and make a surprise look or something. And at this point I have no idea who will be out. I haven’t understood the judges this season at all, so I’m not even going to try.

Blog authors

No comments